Minnesota State High School Debate Tournament
Welcome. When finished, this page will contain a complete
history of the Minnesota State High School Debate Tournament.
Note that I've added an update blog as well.
The following information would be the most helpful for me at this point.
- 1971, 1972, 1973: Elim brackets (I've got the elim opponents of teams in finals, and a few other misc. elims)
- 1977, 1978: Octafinals
- 1977: Full list of schools which qualified two teams. (See below)
- 1972? - 1977, 1979-1983, 1989: Names of qualifying debaters. I don't remember offhand when the MSHSL stopped printing full lists in their yearbooks, so 1972 may be off by a year or so in either direction.
- 1971-1978, 1985, 1990, 1994 (Policy), 2002 (LD): Prelim records/speaker points. For 1990 I have the first page of results, I only need prelim records for Forest Lake and the qualifiers from Sections 5 and 6.
- A whole bunch of elim side info and ballot count info from 1971 to present, which is too sporadic to list everything here. This is my lowest priority, but if you look at the results page and notice something missing/incorrect, I'd appreciate any corrections.
- Classic. Todd Hering gave me a list of quarterfinalists from 2002-09, which is nearly complete. (Missing one quarterfinalist from 02, missing several debater names.) I'd love to get my hands on the full results packets and elim brackets/sides/ballot counts. I assume that the missing 2010 results are for this school year, so I'd need those as well.
- 1986 LD festival, except for final round participants.
- Elim sides from this year's PF tournament.
- There was a private school state tournament before the MSHSL let private schools compete (starting in 1975). I know next-to-nothing about this.
- Yearbook info may help for some of this, in particular the 1977 tournament. For 1977, my number of qualifying schools that I already have matches the MSHSL number, meaning that any additional qualifiers should have come from these schools.
- Two from Mankato West, Mankato East, Marshall, or Montevideo apparently qualified two teams. I strongly believe it was the two Mankato schools.
- One from among Alexander Ramsey, Sibley, White Bear Lake, St. Paul Johnson, or South St. Paul. I have no idea which.
- Two from among Marshall-University, Columbia Heights, St. Anthony Village, and Coon Rapids.
- Process of elimination would say that both Richfield and Bloomington Jefferson qualified two, but I have no outside confirmation. There is an outside chance that Edina East may have qualified a team, I have conflicting info here.
Thanks to: Cort Sylvester, DJ Brynteson, Gregg Fishbein, Doug Hoverson and the
MSHSL for providing information (no matter how minor).
If you can help, please e-mail me at email@example.com
Please include "Debate State Tournament", or
something similar, in the subject line.
Last Updated: Jan. 18, 2011